Village District Ordinances
We recommend that you review the ordinances in Brooklyn, Farmington, Kent, Lebanon, Ledyard, Madison, Middletown, New Canaan, Old Lyme, Preston, Portland, Ridgefield, Southbury, and Woodbridge. Towns and cities can adapt those ordinances to choose the degree of involvement that best suits them.
5 Key Steps
- Educate and obtain resident support for the designation of particular village district(s).
- Inventory the structures, landscape, and settings of each district.
- Establish regulations with common standards of design.
- Adopt the needed zoning regulations.
- Monitor progress and effects and revise as needed.