Our Historic HQ
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated as an Official Project of the Save America’s Treasures Program, the Eli Whitney Boarding House has served as Preservation Connecticut’s headquarters since 1989.
It all started in 1827.
A later industrial building across Whitney Avenue currently houses the Eli Whitney Museum, which is dedicated to presenting and interpreting the inventive genius of Eli Whitney.
What was it like?
Today, we’re solar-powered and 21st-century ready.
When Preservation Connecticut acquired the building in 1989, it had been covered with non-original siding and had lost most of its original sash. After a careful restoration, the organiziation moved in.
Recent projects have included weatherizing the building’s windows, restoring the exterior, surface restoration, clapboard repair, and the installation of solar panels. Keep tabs on the latest work on the Boarding House through our blog!